Light Therapy Benefits
Heating the body in an enclosure with the up to 9 inch penetrating near infrared light emitted by ultra-low EMF tungsten lamps is the most powerful and safe means of restoring one’s health available in the world.
We get the detoxification benefits of heat therapy and the cellular regeneration and anti-aging benefits of near infrared light therapy synergistically activated in every cell of the body during every near infrared sauna session.
On top of that, Near Infrared Light uniquely penetrates human tissues up to 9 inches, so Near Infrared Light is also the most efficient means of heating the body, compared to far-infrared saunas and wet and steam saunas.
Only Red Light & Near Infrared Light of Wavelengths 600-950 nm Stimulate Mitochondrial Systems of Cellular Regeneration and Anti-Aging
NO OFF-GASSING : We supply only non-coated 250W tungsten heat lamp bulbs. They are just tempered glass. Be wary of some bulbs that can be coated with Teflon or other chemical coatings.
Not only are tungsten lamps the ideal source of Near Infrared Light, the tungsten-filament bulb technology is also ultra-low EMF, incredibly reliable and totally safe.
Near infrared light absorption by the light receptors in our cell’s mitochondria promotes cellular regeneration and anti-aging (epigenetic re-optimization)
Only 600-950 nm Light Has Been Shown To Activate Cellular Regeneration & Anti-Aging Systems
A large and rapidly growing body of knowledge supports the use of near infrared light to treat and prevent many illnesses, physical and toxic injuries, and other health conditions.
There is a tremendous amount of medical and scientific research going on right now, and it’s all about mitochondria and mitochondria-controlled systems!
More from Mechanisms of Low-Level Light Therapy:
“Mitochondria are thought to be a likely site for the initial effects of light, leading to increased ATP production, modulation of reactive oxygen species and induction of transcription factors. These effects, in turn, lead to increased cell proliferation and migration (particularly by fibroblasts), modulation in levels of cytokines, growth factors and inflammatory mediators, and increased tissue oxygenation.”
Some of the observed cellular effects of stimulating the cells with 600-95o nm light include:
- Increased Cellular Metabolism
- Increased Blood Circulation
- Increased Tissue Oxygenation
- Increased Collagen Production
- Production of Inflammatory Mediators that Reduce Cellular Inflammation
- Production of Growth Factors that assist Cellular Regeneration
- Increased Cellular and Tissular Growth
- Activation of Anti-Aging Systems
What is Anti-Aging?
When we repair both the DNA architecture and the gene transcription systems, we are restoring the optimal epigenetic state of the cell. Gene transcription refers to how the cells rebuild themselves. Gene transcription is a tremendously complex system that involves many steps of quality control. As our cells and bodies age through exposure to environmental stressors like chemical toxins, our epigenetic state degrades and our cells rebuilt themselves less optimally. More errors occur over time, and the entire cell becomes less efficient and less optimal: in short, we age.
That’s why heat therapy detoxification is not enough for us to fully heal and re-optimize our bodies. We need to use Near Infrared Light to restore our Epigenetics to the optimal biochemical and bioluminescent state.
Red Light wavelengths are from about 600-700nm. Near Infrared Light wavelengths are from about 700-1200nm. Only this narrow band of light can be accurately called the Light Therapy band.
NATURE’S MOST POWERFUL NUTRIENT
Near infrared light is contained within the spectrum of natural sunlight. In fact, sunlight that reaches the earth’s surface contains 52% to 55% near infrared light. It’s clear that humans and other animal and plant species, by Nature’s design, have been programmed to utilize near infrared light to our benefit.
The light therapy effects of NIr light cannot be overstated. The interaction of chromophores within our bodies with near infrared light is the key to understanding the power of NIr light. 
The Tungsten-Filament Lamp Emits all 600-950nm Activating Wavelengths of the Entire Light Therapy Band
Incandescent (tungsten-filament) heat lamps simulate sunlight by producing the entire red and near infrared light band (650 nm – 1000 nm).
The tungsten filaments in the incandescent light bulb produce the same beneficial visible red & near infrared (also called NIR-A, 600nm – 950nm) elements of natural sunlight. 
Furthermore, as is seen in the figure above, the tungsten-filament bulb emission spectrum is a bell-curve that centers on about 900-950nm, so the vast majority of the light wavelengths emitted are near infrared light wavelengths, centered on the light therapy band.
The tungsten-filament bulb not only emits the correct wavelengths of light necessary for light therapy, they emit exclusively near infrared light and red light. Tungsten does not emit any significant amount of mid-infrared or far-infrared wavelengths of light.
The human body has an optical window of light absorption of 600-1150nm. That’s because hemoglobin absorbs most all light below 600nm, which is all visible light except red light.
On the other side of the optical window, water absorbs all light of wavelengths greater than 1150nm. 
Far infrared light wavelengths start at about 5,000-15,000nm, so all far infrared light wavelengths are completely absorbed by water molecules.
Since we have water molecules everywhere in our bodies, it’s obvious that far-infrared light won’t every penetrate deeply; it is blocked by water in all tissues.
More importantly, even when far-infrared light manages to penetrate up to 1.5-2 inches into human tissue, it DOES NOT activate any cellular regenerative or anti-aging systems of healing. It only provides a heating effect on the cells.
Far infrared saunas use heating elements that mainly emit light in the far-infrared range (NIR-C, 3000nm – 1mm).
These far infrared heating elements typically emit harmful levels of EMF.
Far infrared sauna manufacturers are forced to use expensive metal shielding to lower these high EMF levels, which increases costs & results in decreased far-infrared light emission into the sauna. In other words, low-EMF far infrared saunas primarily rely on heating up the air around the sauna user to heat the user’s body, and are therefore little different than traditional saunas.
Furthermore, there are no photoreceptors for far infrared light in the human body, so that unlike near infrared lamp saunas, far infrared saunas only provide heat therapy, not near infrared light therapy.
Traditional Wet/Finnish Saunas only Provide Heat Therapy, not Light Therapy, they produce heat generated by electricity. Wet saunas create steam by utilizing steam generators or by throwing water on electrically-heated hot rocks.
Dry saunas use electric heaters that typically emit harmful levels of electromagnetic energy (EMF). A typical dry Finnish-type sauna operates at 180°F or greater and heats the body from the outside in. Heat Therapy for Detoxification, Your Best Defense Against the Modern Toxic World
Throughout history, humans have used sauna therapy as a safe and powerful means of detoxification, from Native American sweat lodges to Finnish wood-fired saunas.
Heat Therapy is simple to achieve. All we must do is raise cell temperature by several degrees for several minutes to activate cellular heat therapy effects. What are these cellular heat therapy effects?
- Heat Shock Proteins are activated. HSPs repair misfolded and damaged proteins and also help make cellular detoxification more efficient
- Increased Cellular Metabolism
- Increased Oxygenation
When doing this in the tissues of the body’s core, we activate the whole body’s detoxification response. This is called whole-body or systemic heat therapy. It’s the full-body heat therapy that results in dramatic healing effects for the entire organism:
- Increased Blood Flow to Tissues
- Increased Tissue Oxygenation
- Vasodilation of Blood Vessels, so Blood Pressure Decreases, even as Blood Circulation Increases
- Increased Production of Human Growth Hormone
- Increase Insulin Sensitivity/Reduced Insulin Resistance
- Activation of Skin as Organ of Detoxification via Passive Sweating
We dramatically increasing blood-flow to the vital organs and skin, unlocking even hard to reach toxins. Sweating during vigorous exercise also raises the body temperature, but actually decreases deep organ blood flow, which means very little detoxification takes place.
When sitting quietly in your sauna, sweating passively, profound detoxification begins to occur. The skin, your largest detoxification organ, is activated as a toxin eliminator. This is in sharp contrast to sweating during aerobic exercise, which again does not result in meaningful removal of toxic organic chemicals and heavy metals.
In today’s toxic world no one can avoid exposure to harmful substances. Sauna therapy is a cornerstone of defense in the fight against toxin related illness and dysfunction.
A recent landmark scientific study published in a major medical journal demonstrated a significant decrease in mortality (increase in longevity) with sauna use.  Benefits observed included significant decreases in fatal heart attacks and deaths from other cardiovascular diseases.
Relaxation & Stress Relief
Sauna use promotes parasympathetic nervous system activity (“rest & digest” state) and decreases sympathetic (“fight or flight” state) activity. Saunas promote profound relaxation and stress relief through their parasympathetic effect.
A number of factors synergistically and powerfully combine to produce these changes. Sweating, moving blood to the periphery, Heating the body, Near infrared light therapy, and more are all involved during the sauna experience.
Regular use produces genuine relaxation of body and mind-improving a sense of well-being. Sauna therapy also decreases blood pressure as well as improves both oxygenation and circulation.
Wound & Tissue Repair
Multiple studies show accelerated healing of wounds and other types of tissue injury using near infrared light. A great example is the use of NIR light therapy to treat disorders and injury to the eyes. Rather than causing injury to the eye, near infrared light helps the eyes heal.
In a scientific study, mice were blinded by chemical injury (methanol) and the blindness was reversed with the application of NIR light therapy. There is a growing body of evidence demonstrating the powerful healing effects of NIR light. NIR light promotes faster cell regeneration and human tissue growth.
Joint & Muscle Pain
Low-level light therapy has been shown to reduce joint and muscle pain in animal studies. Penetrating near infrared light appears to address joint and muscle problems from multiple angles. Hand-held near infrared devices used for pain relief are common in physical therapy and pain management offices. Far infrared does not provide this effect.
Increases Athletic & Physical Performance
Sauna bathing after exercise have been shown to increase athletic performance, reduce fatigue and improve muscle recovery. Muscle circulation is increased. Innovative gyms are actually installing infrared lamp systems integrated with exercise equipment for an enhanced experience. Growth hormone release also occurs with sauna use and can increase muscle strength.
Care for your body’s largest organ! Your skin is a major organ for eliminating body wastes through sweating. Most people don’t sweat enough.
Near infrared saunas encourage sweating and unlock toxins stored beneath the skin bringing deeper toxins to the skin for elimination. NIR light easily penetrates the skin, boosts circulation and brings more blood and nutrients not only to the skin itself but to deeper tissues as well.
Near infrared light therapy has been shown to stimulate vital collagen and elastin production. Collagen helps plump the skin, while elastin firms the skin. The visible red and NIR light energizes and repairs damaged cells, stimulating collagen and elastin and returning the skin to a more youthful look.
NIR light is being used currently to treat specific skin problems such as acne scars, eczema, rosacea and more. Lights are effective in healing acne faster because they increasing blood circulation and cellular regeneration. Red and Infrared Light therapy makes the skin healthier so it heals faster and can fight new acne breakouts more effectively.
Treating psoriasis with light therapy is probably the oldest known therapy for this skin disease. Bathing in sunlight to relieve the symptoms of psoriasis is an age old remedy.
Body Fat & Cellulite
Regular sauna use can reduce overall body fat. Near infrared light has been shown to decrease cellulite. NIR heat lamp saunas allow specific problem areas to be targeted as needed. (E.g. cellulite in thigh skin). A study involving a group of women riding stationary bicycles demonstrated a 444% increase in weight loss for the group exposed to near infrared light when compared to the exercise only group. Infrared light combined with other therapies has been shown to be effective in controlling cellulite.
REDUCED VISIBLE CELLULITE - Cellulite is fat mixed with toxins that are trapped, in part due to an underactive circulatory system. Cellulite is so visible, in part due to weakened connective tissue. NIR helps rebuild connective tissue and has been shown to reduce cellulite. Studies using near infrared light alone and in combination with bipolar radio frequency & mechanical suction-based massage device have shown decreases in cellulite accumulation.
Other benefits of NIR therapy provide direct and indirect help in reducing cellulite. Near infrared energy increases tissue circulation, and promotes healing and rejuvenation of skin and deeper tissues. NIR sauna therapy stimulates detoxification while boosting overall metabolism. (12)
The benefits that have been researched:
· BOOSTS METABOLISM – The mitochondria (power plants of the cells) produce more ATP (energy currency of the cells) when NIR (near infrared rays) is introduced. (1,2)
· REDUCES BODY FAT – A group of 20 women riding stationary bicycles 3 times per week for 4 weeks exposed to NIR lost an average of 8 cm’s or 444% more as compared to 20 women doing the same exercise without NIR. (3)
· INCREASED ENERGY – NIR activates the color sensitive chemicals (chromophores & cytochrome systems) to depths of 23 centimeters (or about 10 inches), stimulating the energy processes in cells. (1)
· IMPROVED CIRCULATION TO THE MUSCLES – NIR causes the release of nitric oxide. This stimulates vasodilatation of the microcirculatory system, bringing more blood to the muscles. (4)
· BETTER ENDURANCE – Muscle fatigue was reduced by up to 42.2% when exposing muscle to NIR. (5,6)
· INCREASED STRENGTH – Growth hormone release is induced by an increase in body temperature and not by exercise itself. Growth hormone increases muscle mass, calcium retention, and lipolysis (the breakdown of stored fat). (14)
· FASTER RECOVERY TIME – Certain tissue regenerating genes including integrins, laminin, gap junction proteins and kinesin proteins have shown a two- to five-fold increase upon exposure to NIR. (7,8)
· WORKOUT IN LESS TIME – Due to increased production of ATP and quick dilation of the microcirculatory system, a person can lessen warm-up time and work at a higher level of exertion without increasing blood pressure. (1,9,10)
· DETOXIFY THE BODY - Increased blood circulation stimulates the sweat glands, releasing built-up toxins and waste. Sweat is the only way to remove certain carcinogenic PCBs, dioxins, phthalates, and volatile organic hydrocarbons. (11)
· REJUVENATES SKIN - DNA Synthesis of fibroblasts, which affects the elasticity of skin, increase five-fold with NIR. The result is younger-looking, more beautiful skin. (1,7)
·RELIEFS JOINT & MUSCLE PAIN / INCREASES FLEXIBILITY - Penetrating heat from NIR has long been proven to reduce pain and increase circulation to areas of discomfort. NIR has also been shown to significantly increase the range of flexibility. (13)
1. Whelan H.T., Buchmann, E.V., et al, NASA Light-Emitting Diode Medical Applications From Deep Space to Deep Sea
2. Wong-Riley M.T., Bai, X., et al, Light-Emitting Diode Treatment Reversed the Effect of TTX on Cytochrome Oxidase in Neurons
3. Mockel F., Hoffmann G., et al Einfulss von Wassergefiltertem Infrator A auf die Reduktion von Lokalem Fett und Korpergewicht unter Korperlicher Belastung
4. Gilligan D.M., Panza J.M., et al, Contribution of Endothelium-derived Nitric Oxide to Exercise-Induced Vasodilation
5. Lopes-Martins R.A., Marcos R.L., et al, Effect of Low Level Laser on Skeletal Muscle Fatigue Induced by Electrical Stimulation in Rats
6. Abou-Hala A.Z, Barbosa D.G., et al, Effects of the Infrared Lamp Illumination during the Process of Muscle Fatigue in Rats
7. Wong-Riley M.T., Whelan H.T., Effect of 670-nm Light Emitting Diode Light on Neuronal Cultures
8. Buchmann E.V., Dhokalia A., et al, Effect of NASA Light-Emitting Diode Irradiation of Molecular Changes for Wound Healing in Diabetic Mice
9. Savard, G.K., Nielsen B., et al, Muscle Blood Flow is not reduced in Humans during Moderate Exercise and Heat Stress
10. Hannuksela M.L., Ellahham S., Benefits and Risks of Sauna Bathing
11. Rogers S., Reversing the Neuro-degeneration from Ubiquitous Environmental Endocrine Disruptors
12. Alster T.S., Tanzi E.L., Cosmetic Laser Therapy
13. Demura S., Noguchi T., and Matsuzawa J., Effect of Linear Polarized Near-infrared Irradiation on Flexibility of Shoulder and Ankle Joints
14. Christensen S.E., Jørgensen O.L., et al, Characterization of Growth Hormone Release in Response to External Heating
1.↑Laukkanen T, Hassan Khan H, Zaccardi F, Laukkanen J. Association Between Sauna Bathing and Fatal Cardiovascular and All-Cause Mortality Events . JAMA Intern Med. February 23, 2015. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.8187.
2.↑Wilson L, MD. Why Does the Near Infrared Lamp Sauna Have An Extremely Parasympathetic Effect . The Center For Development. March 2014.
3.↑Chung H, Dai T, Sharma SK, Huang YY, Carroll JD, Hamblin MR. The Nuts and Bolts of Low-level Laser (Light) Therapy . Ann Biomed Eng. 2012 Feb;40(2):516-33. doi: 10.1007/s10439-011-0454-7. Epub 2011 Nov 2.
4.↑Hamblin M, Demidova T. Mechanisms of low level light therapy . Proc. SPIE 6140, Mechanisms for Low-Light Therapy. 614001 (Feb 2006); doi:10.1117/12.646294.
5.↑Whelan H T, Buchmann E V, Dhokalia A, Kane MP,Whelan N T, Wong-Riley M, Eells J T, Gould L J, Hammamieh R, Das R, Jett M. Effect of NASA Light-Emitting Diode Irradiation on Molecular Changes for Wound Healing in Diabetic Mice . Journal of Clinical Laser Medicine & Surgery. April 2003, 21(2): 67-74. doi:10.1089/104454703765035484.
6.↑Eells JT, Wong-Riley MT, VerHoeve J, Henry M, Buchman EV, Kane MP, Gould LJ, Das R, Jett M, Hodgson BD, Margolis D, Whelan HT. Mitochondrial signal transduction in accelerated wound and retinal healing by near-infrared light therapy . Mitochondrion. 2004 Sep;4(5-6):559-67.
7.↑Eells JT, Henry MM, Summerfelt P, Wong-Riley MTT, Buchmann EV, Kane M, Whelan NT, and Whelan HT. Therapeutic photobiomodulation for methanol-induced retinal toxicity . Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 Mar 18; 100(6): 3439–3444. Published online 2003 Mar 7. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0534746100
8.↑Scoon GS, Hopkins WG, Mayhew S, Cotter JD. Effect of post-exercise sauna bathing on the endurance performance of competitive male runners . J Sci Med Sport. 2007 Aug;10(4):259-62. Epub 2006 Jul 31.
9.↑Hamblin M. Can osteoarthritis be treated with light? . Arthritis Research & Therapy. 2013, 15:120 doi:10.1186/ar4354.
10.↑Gale GD, Rothbart PJ, Li Y. Infrared therapy for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial . Pain Res Manag. 2006 Autumn;11(3):193-6.
11.↑Ablon G. Combination 830-nm and 633-nm light-emitting diode phototherapy shows promise in the treatment of recalcitrant psoriasis: preliminary findings . Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Feb;28(1):141-6. doi: 10.1089/pho.2009.2484.
12.↑Avci P, Gupta A, Sadasivam M, Vecchio D, Pam Z, Pam N, Hamblin MR. Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) in skin: stimulating, healing, restoring . Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2013 Mar;32(1):41-52.
13, 15.↑Möckel F, Hoffmann G, Obermüller R, Drobnik W, Schmitz G. Influence of water-filtered infrared-A (wIRA) on reduction of local fat and body weight by physical exercise . Ger Med Sci. 2006; 4: Doc05.
14.↑Alster TS, Tanzi EL. Cellulite treatment using a novel combination radiofrequency, infrared light, and mechanical tissue manipulation device . J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2005 Jun;7(2):81-5.
16.↑Sasaki GH, Oberg K, Tucker B, Gaston M. The effectiveness and safety of topical PhotoActif phosphatidylcholine-based anti-cellulite gel and LED (red and near-infrared) light on Grade II-III thigh cellulite: a randomized, double-blinded study . J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2007 Jun;9(2):87-96.